2012. It’s almost here. And out comes the list. The list of hope. Of growth. Progress.
In 2012 I want to…
- stop smoking. I’ve failed on this quite a few times. But I’ve realized, now more than ever that my health is something I owe to my son. To give us more time. And he will be worth the temporary discomfort.
- Learn Yoga. This goes along with the whole healthy thing. My body aches so often and I’m too damned young for that.
- Edit Dream Catcher. I wrote the piece in 2011. 2012 will be my year to tweak it into a completed piece.
- Complete Euphoric Damnation. This has been my baby for four years and I’m ready to get it out on paper.
- Submit one piece of work to a literary agent/publishing house with a query. This one will probably be the hardest for me. I’m scared of the rejection but I won’t know until I try.
- Read at least 52 books this year. As an aspiring writer, reading is a fundamental part of my work. And it makes me happy. I doubt this one will be a problem with my Nook Tablet.
- Take Hunter to NYC at least once. I want my son to know his family and it has to be with effort on my part to make that happen.
- Get a promotion at work. This is going to take a lot of hard work. Probably more work than I’ve done in 2011. Everything I thought I achieved in 2011 has to be done tenfold in the new year to show my potential.
- Make a dent in debt. This one is not going to be fixed in 2012 alone. I’ve acquired quite a bit due to all of this breast surgeries and moving out on my own. But I determined to work hard and paying back every cent I owe.
- Create an even better relationship with my sons father. We’ve made progress in the past few months but I know it takes work on both of our parts to be the best parents we can be for our son.
- Creatie better self-esteem for myself. This one is probably the hardest on my list. This will always be a work in progress. But I know, in order to be a happy woman, in my own skin…I have to accept who I am, work on my flaws and let past mistakes and painful memories go.
- Be a better sister, aunt, friend. This takes communication and the effort of reaching out.
- Take down the wall/taking off the mask. This is my defense mechanism, to make sure people don’t hurt me. I’m not saying I want to wear my heart on my sleeve but I know I have to work on being positive, friendly and showing my endearment versus hiding behind sarcasm and humor.
- Be a better mother. Growing with my son. Accepting who he becomes and nurturing his growth, dreams and imagination. You can never stop striving to be a better parent. I dont plan on ever stopping.
2012 is about being a better me. About living beyond the labels and expectations of others. About honing my craft and embracing change. 2012 is about loving myself for the first time in a really long time.